From Jonathan Costers <jonathan.cost...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Status of QA test verification
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:13:16 GMT

> Perhaps we should create a new category, orthogonal to the existing
> categories, that selects about a one hour regression test that one could run
> regularly during development? I don't think dropping complete existing
> categories is a good way to do it, because that leads to complete
> non-testing of significant components.
>
> Note that the QA suite will run daily, but ONLY if there have been SVN
changes to trunk in the mean time.
But I do see value in a "reduced" set. Problem is how to identify tests that
go in that set.

> Obviously, tests that have failed during the test expansion work are very
> strong candidates for inclusion in the reduced set - they test things that
> are affected by the changes you have backed out, and presumably
> re-implementing those changes is going to be an important part of the future
> work.

I agree.

> Incidentally, I've suspended my attempts to write more tests, and switched
> to TaskManager work, because I realized I don't know whether we have the
> tests I think are needed or not. I did know that I was not satisfied with
> the set that were being run, but that is a different matter.

Ideally, we should be focusing on writing more unit tests for such things as
the TaskManager.
It seems to me that the QA suite should remain fairly stable (I mean, not a
lot of tests should be added or changed), unless we change the Jini spec or
significantly change behaviour of the implementation.