From "Christopher Dolan" <christopher.do...@avid.com>
Subject RE: Getting Started
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:03:24 GMT
Patricia,

We agreed earlier that 1.5 is OK, I believe, so generics are OK.  I
humbly request that we do not yet move to requiring 1.6 (@Override on
interface implementations is the one that always bites me).  Maybe in
2011?

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:pats@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:16 PM
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Getting Started

1. Can River source code use all JDK 1.6 features? In particular, what
should I do about generics? No generics, generics only in appropriate
private data structures, or use generics wherever appropriate, including

interfaces between modules?

2. How do people do revision control for work-in-progress? I like to
check in early and often, so that I have a good change log and can do a
lot of experiments, especially when performance tuning.

3. My preferred environment is a combination of Eclipse and Cygwin. Have

others used that combination? If so, can I have a copy of the Eclipse
editor set-up to get the right format, and also any Cygwin set-up?

Thanks,

Patricia