From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Maven Artefacts RIVER-317 - AR2 Release
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:35:38 GMT
I am still of the opinion that we need to define a 'war' kind of archive of all
the "jars" in a Jini service definition and make that the maven artifact (maybe
use .jsd for the extension).  Then, we need deployment tools that understand
such a thing, and can open it and extract the bits out that are needed for each
kind of use.

I've thought about this some, and think that we could amend com.sun.jini.start
to have another "config structure" that provided the appropriate details into
the existing classes' construction inside of com.sun.jini.start.ServiceStarter.

We might define the following '.jsd' file content from the top level directory
perspective as a simple start.

1.  META-INF/MANIFEST provides a class-path: entry that details the jars
depended on for class path.
2.  META-INF/MANIFEST provides a code-base: entry that details the names of jars
that must be in the codebase
3.  codebase/* contains all the codebase jars which are part of the build
4.  service/* contains all of the jars which are part of the classpath
5.  java.policy would provide a default policy file

The 1 and 2 items would be what containers used to decide how to package a
service. They would take provided jars out of 3 and 4 to fill out the details as
the primary source.

Any missing jars from 3 and 4 would need to be obtained elsewhere.  Maven
artifact names would be a something to use here would it not?  We could use
different MANIFEST entries to specify simple jars vs known, public maven
artifact names.

There could also be stuff in the MANIFEST about version etc to help containers
decide what version of what is needed.

These are the things I've thought a little bit about so far.  I've been working
on the start of a netbeans plugin to try and deal with testing and using Jini
services inside of netbeans and providing the generation of a 'war' kind of
thing.  It's going fairly well so far, but real work keeps taking precedence.
This defined 'packaging' would make such a plug-in container neutral.
Containers would then just need to provide a "JiniServiceDeployer" implementing
plug-in to allow new services to be deployed out of the IDE.

What do the other container authors think about this.  Would it be more work to
do something like this without a real benefit, or is there something we can all
gain by creating some standard packaging to help keep things together and allow
service "owners" to create deployment packages more readily for public
consumption in various kinds of container environments?

Gregg Wonderly

Jonathan Costers wrote:
> Sorry, I actually need to thank Jeff for his contribution and Dennis for
> his suggestions and remarks.
>

> Op woensdag 30-09-2009 om 17:14 uur [tijdzone +1000], schreef Peter
> Firmstone:
>> Jeff contributed a patch containing pom's for the River dist jar files,
>> which I've added to the main trunk, however it isn't clear how the
>> download files for service clients are handled,  Dennis has made some
>> suggestions, however I'm going to need some help with this.
>>
>> Feel free to check out and have a play.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> Patrick Wright wrote:
>>> Hi Peter
>>>
>>> Can you update us on the status of River vis-a-vis Maven? How far
>>> along are you in creating the POM(s) for the build system? What is
>>> missing?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Patrick

How