From Sam Chance <sgcha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGi and Jini
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 16:30:42 GMT
Dennis Reedy wrote:

"Forget about OSGi for now, its a red herring for River moving out of
incubation, and frankly a bit of noise that produces the same reaction every
time it is posted. This is not to say the each technology (combined or
separate) does not have its merits/issues, its just time to move on. ..."

I agree with the last phrase of the last sentence. But it's remarkable how
differently we collectively disagree with what "...moving on..." means! To
some, "moving on" means embracing OSGi, particularly distributed OSGi
(D-OSGi). To others, it means treating OSGi as orthogonal to Jini/River.

Dennis calls it "noise" and I call it "opportunity" and "vision". I believe
proliferation of OSGi technology / services framework will enable
"convergence" on a scale heretofore unseen. Sectors such as Enterprise,
Residential, Automotive, Mobile, Bio-medical, etc interoperate more
seamlessly and dynamically about a "functional internetwork" at Internet
scale.

I know you guys are very busy, but it would be nice if the most experienced
Jini/River software engineers were able to dissect the [OSGi] RFC 119 and
provide an assessment as to how or if it is "suited" for Jini/River.  I know
it's tough to allocate time to do that though.

Sam

--
Sam Chance
443-694-5293 (m)