From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:52:39 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Dan Creswell <dan@dcrdev.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Personally I think a more interesting question is:
>>
>> "What do you gain by not bothering with the Jini part?"
>
> Since you asked (take your pick);
>
>  1. An appealing programming model that is also suitable for
> single-JVM applications, which could (IF need arise!!) be complemented
> with a distributed version without change of the application sources.
> People tend to like solutions that are easy to start with and that can
> become powerful if/when that need arises. I think that the failure of
> the Jini folks (then and now) to acknowledge this is one of the
> biggest mistakes done. The same argument could be done for the entire
> Jini platform.

Mmmm, well my original question was focused on why separate JavaSpaces
from Jini rather than something more general.  And in this case, given
what you're saying I believe Blitz's LocalSpace mode satisfies this
requirement - you have to have some Jini .jars around but it isn't
remote, doesn't require a lookup service and can be used inside of a
single JVM.

As to the desire to not change the application code in the transition
from local to remote I don't think that's achievable due to the
fallacies, CAP and so on.