From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's up with River?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:06:33 GMT
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Holger Hoffstätte <holger@wizards.de> wrote:
> Dennis Reedy wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 2008, at 516PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>> incubation projects are run on the apache model: committers are
>>> elected. provided people are interested in river and want to help take
>>> the code forward, there shouldn't be any problem. what's needed is
>>> people with energy and interest to jump in...
>>
>> I am ready and willing to jump in, I am sure there are others as well.
>
> Not that I have any votes to spare, but +1 anyway. :)

everyone in the community has a vote and is encouraged to express
their opinions, it's just that only votes from members on the PMC can
be binding on apache (in other words, take decisions on behalf of the
foundation). most of the time a healthy apache projects runs without
formal votes but the +1's are part of the culture.

> If anybody is qualified to move this thing forward it would be Dennis.

apache uses a diffuse leadership model. rather than appointing a clear
maintainer or leader, it's more like a cloud of interest. when people
in the community find that they have energy to spare, they step up.
when they have less energy to spare, people tend to contribute more to
shared decisions than to code. it sounds like though there will be a
lot less day work, there's still a lot of interest from these
committers. this is very positive. they can play a huge role by
mentoring other developers and guiding progress even when they don't
have the coding cycles.

- robert