From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Short term plan forward... (proposal)
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 20:50:20 GMT
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> I'm OK with that if that's what people want, but it would be good
> to get a bit more clarity.  The first release would have:
>  - no code changes over the 2.1 starter kit release?
>  - lib/serviceui.jar added in as-is (not classes folded into other jars)?
>  - no installer, just a zip file distribution?
>  - no fundamental changes to the build process?
>  - just cosmetic changes to the documentation?  [what changes?]

My view is that there are a couple of different issues here.  One is the
management of the CVS/SVN content and the other is the creation of a release.  I
have a couple of different desires related to these two issues.  I've talked
about some of them, but just to reiterate:

Source code content:
o	Tabbing should be either all tabs or all spaces to make it possible
	for people to leave their IDE settings alone and get reasonably
	viewable code.  All of my source is tabs only as I've said here before.

o	There should be a base source drop that is exactly the content of the
	last Jini 2.1 content to help in generating diffs for migrating and
	commoning source bases that other developers have from the 2.1 content.

Release content:
o	A 0.1 release, I think would help the new "team" figure out what is
	needed to make that happen.  By making limited changes to the content
	from the 2.1 releases, a content audit of sorts might be possible.
	Whether this is a public release might be interesting to discuss.

o	Calling the first release 2.2 is something I agree with to better
	help people understand the evolution between Jini and the River project.

Gregg Wonderly