From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject getting back to River project organization...
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:48:17 GMT
Since my original post on thoughts on River project organization,
the discussion on the list has veered back away from organization,
and dived down into various discussions (code whitespace,
testing, long term picture, etc).  I know those are all important to
varying degrees, but I'd like to get us back to spending some time
organizing and on process (I know, a bad word ;-)), so that we
can make progress within the context of a step wise progression.

I feel like the project needs to make some small successful steps
in which we can build on.

In the next day or so, I'll start the wiki page I proposed below and
put some of these organizational elements in them.  You're then
free to go in an modify at will :-)

Mark-  I like your breakdown here (modulo the testing discussion
that happened), so I'll try to incorporate that somehow. Thanks.

I think the first small step(s) should be to get the source code
in the project as our first milestone.  Why don't we start with
Service UI, and then focus on the Starter Kit. To that end...  Bill
has created a JIRA issue for the Service UI code contribution.
Do we need to define a process in which to vote on accepting it?
Let's work on getting that done.

thanks -Jim

On Jan 31, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> 0) policy of how to deal with code changes (as in RIVER-2), also I
>    think your point 5) should be discussed first;
> 1) setup of JIRA with components and proper permissions for
> developers,
>    at least to the extend it makes sense;
> 2) we have a group of people that have actual access to SVN, meaning
>    the ICLA and CCLA are fine and accounts are created;
> 3) merge ServiceUI and JTSK for the time being so we have one build
>    process, I agree with Bob that separation complicate things.
> Although
>    I hope this agreement only lasts for a few months ;-)
> 4) work towards an initial (internal) release that in all aspects
>    compatible with the current JTSK, this means that fixes from Sun
>    internally could get in as well as improvements lingering around
>    the world. This would mean we assign issues to a new version and
>    this allows those willing to participate to pick tasks in a way
>    that is beneficial to the whole community on the short term;
> 5) setup of test infrastructure to validate the outcome of 4
>
> It is my expectation working towards an initial release takes at
> least a
> few months, depending on how much improvements we want in it. This
> buys
> us time to sort out the longer term roadmap issues, of which some of
> them can have a huge impact. If some of the roadmap issues are tackled
> in an early stage we could even start parallel development, although
> given the fact SVN has no merge history tracking I'm personally very
> reluctant to have any significant development going on in what is
> not the trunk branch.

Begin forwarded message: