incubator-rat-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future For Rat...?
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:15:45 GMT
(back again from visiting my brother)

<snip>

On 06/17/11 14:28, sebb wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 14:01, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2011-06-15, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>> I'm involved with some release and build wrangling over at James (and
>>> probably in the OO.o podling as well). I'm likely to need to start on
>>> some new tools related to Rat (similar to tools they have over in
>>> Lucene-land which might come this way).
>>
>> What kind of tools are these and how do they relate to Rat?  I still
>> have difficulties seeing what sort of TLP that could be.
>
> There are other possible release-related tools.
>
> For example, checking hashes and sigs.
> Checking source archive content against SVN.
> Checking jars contain N &L files, and that the manifest has suitable
> Specification and/or Implementation entries
>
> Also, checking SVN properties (eol-style etc).

and a few more from me :-)

new types of higher level rules
 * manifest checking rules
 * dependency checking rules
 * NOTICE/LICENSE existing within compressed archives

binary wrangling
  * LICENSE and NOTICE generation and verification
  * support for license compatibility rules
  * support for non-textual licensing meta-data

smart license correction
 * support for orderly additional licensing

bulk comprehension tools suitable for checking large releases
 * more flexible tools for verifying maven repository releases with
large numbers of components
 * interaction comprehension

support for languages other than Java
 * one particular use case is better integration with subversion hooks
 * separate concerns about rule logic from document wrangling
 * curses based GUI for large scale comprehension
 * integration into make and rake based builds

and about tooling for OpenOffice.org

Robert