incubator-rat-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Import best practice [WAS Re: svn commit: r636144 [2/7] ]
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:14:45 GMT
On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:00 -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Mar 12, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 18:17 -0700, Craig L Russell wrote:
> >> Ouch.
> >>
> >> The license headers are obsolete. Didn't you run RAT on these before
> >> checking them in? ;-)
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > it was intention. i've always imported then fixed so that the record
> > of
> > the changes is present in the version control. i'm not sure whether
> > the
> > consensus is that this is best practice or not.
>
> Cool. When I imported the JDO stuff from Sun awhile back, I added the
> license before checking the files into the Apache repo, so I guess
> best practice is undocumented.

IIRC there have been a few different theories. the original source
covered by the agreement should be a matter of open record. source in
apache repositories should have the right headers.

JIRA gives an open record so can serve the first purpose.

> > i'll post something on general and then write up the results...
> >
> Might be a good topic for the incubator guides...
>
> Assuming that there is consensus, of course.

even if there isn't consensus, it's useful to establish the pros and
cons.

- robert