incubator-qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Marnie McCormack" <marnie.mccorm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Qpid M2 Release
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:41:25 GMT
Hi All,

I there are now some compelling motivations for releasing an M2.

I'd like to propose an M2, to include:

- Java Broker
- Java Client
- C++ Broker
- C++ Client
- .NET Client

I can speak with more authority on some areas than others, but here's my
quick summary of major changes since M1:

- the Java Client/Broker pass the SUN TCK making our offering in this area
much more attractive
- the persistence rework on the Java broker is complete and significantly
advances the functionality
- the C++ broker is ready for some real use and should get out there for
early adopters
- the C++ client interop has been worked upon/used quite a bit in dev
- the .NET client has been substantially extended and interop improved
- and a lot of JIRAs resolved on all front, bugs and improvements

We also need to introduce a new AMQP protocol version across the board, and
it makes good sense to get M2 out there before we do this.

I think we also considered releasing the python and ruby for M1, but there
were gaps in the docs etc. I'm happy that we should include these in M2,
assuming someone is willing to contribute the required docs etc (and they
interop).

I'd like to structure our initial vote as follows:

- M2 Release including Java, C++ and .NET
- Additionally python and ruby

Let's vote first to get an idea of the consensus and then we can create
threads on release manager, dates, code freezes etc.

We have quite a bit of work to consider/do prior to release including
interop testing, docs etc. Happy to raise JIRAs (or assist the release
manager) for an M2 set of tasks if we proceed.

*Votes please :*

*[ ] M2 Release inc Java, C++, .NET
[ ] Python and Ruby clients

*And here is my +1 for all both.