From Angela Cymbalak <a.cymba...@nechtan.org>
Subject Re: looking for a new name
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:47:29 GMT
I have to go with something Noel mentioned when we first started
discussing the name.  He said (paraphrase) that it is much easier to
settle on a name before setting up all the resources (maillists,
jira, etc.)  Therefore, I think that we should address the concerns
now before the infrastructure for the project is set up.

I have no problem with 2A but I do fear that Google may not give the
statement.  I have a sneaking suspicion that companies only decide
that a name is "too close" when the new product starts getting big
enough to encroach on "their turf".  It may be easier to just avoid
the question altogether.

There is also option 3, which I think would also be in the Apache
way.  That would be, call a vote on it and see who thinks the name is
too close.  But, that could just drag things out.

All that being said, I like either Snapshot or Shutter.  However,
Shutter is taken[1].  SnapShot is also taken[2].    I did appreciate
the alliterations on general@ with that one, btw.  Neither of these
pieces of software is close to what we are doing so does that matter?

For what it is worth, Shoebox is the name of a software company[3].

Can we do a play on the Louvre?  Can we steal Click from that project?

My list:
Lewva
PixPlace
Blur
PixBlur

I'm liking Lewva and Blur myself.  I do also like SchuhKarton, the
only drawback being the length.

Angie

[1]http://www.cygnet-infotech.com/Screenshot/Shutter-Manufacturing-System-software.htm
[2]http://www.allworldsoft.com/software/10-171-web-page-snapshot.htm