From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Moving towards a proposed vote
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:34:11 GMT
Hi Noel,

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> I see:
>
> 	Angela
> 	Roland
> 	Luciano
>
> who appear to want to be Committers.

Nope, I don't strive to be a committer. I intend to stay
involved in a strictly non-coding role: architectural
discussions, Apache processes, maybe some documentation
over time. I'm currently on vacation and can allocate
some more time to get started, but I'll have to cut back
again in a few weeks.
I was considering to champion this proposal, but I'm
glad you've stepped up for that role :-) However, I'd
still like to get a clearer picture of where we stand
and how we intend to go forward.

> Where do we stand on the proposal?  Is it considered ready, or do people
> want to do some further revisions?

The proposal mentions three codebases, and I remember
those popping up during the discussion on general@.
It should explicitly list which these three codebases
are, and on what technologies they are based. This is
to highlight the different options that have been
considered in the past, and what we can draw from.

I suggest to divide the information in the proposal
more cleanly into the proposal itself (what will the
project provide), the current status (which codebases
to draw from), and the high-level design part
(open questions). I'm not sure whether the latter
should go into the proposal at all. If it does,
I'd like it to be a bit clearer than currently.
For example, Sling has been mentioned. Unless I am
confusing things, Sling is a framework based on JCR.
So a Sling front-end would access the repository
directly and not through via the proposed web service?

Formally, the proposal contains many "I" referring
to Angie. Is it still Angie's proposal to bring the
Caitrin codebase to Apache and use it as the starting
point for development? Or is it the proposal of the
small community that is beginning to form here and
that starts from scratch with a high-level design?
If the latter, the wording should be changed to
reflect that. I'd also like to see more than just
Angie's name in the "Initial Committers" section.
Frankly, I don't think that a single committer can
reasonably pull this off when starting from scratch.
The advantage of starting from a codebase is that
you can tell people to download and play with it.

I'll try to answer some of the questions I raised
above, and would like to update the proposal in the
coming days.

cheers,
   Roland