From Angela Cymbalak <a.cymba...@nechtan.org>
Subject updates to proposal (was: Codebases and Tidbits and Moving towards a proposed vote)
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:03:49 GMT
This makes for a long email now, combining the two threads but it may
be easier to read.

>Regarding the proposal, I have made some updates.

Thanks for making the updates!

>But I'm still not happy with the sections on
>"Initial Goals"/"High Level Design" and "Relationships
>with Other Apache Products".  This has to do with all
>the open design questions in the proposal. It is important
>to document such questions and the decisions, but that
>does not belong into the proposal. [...]

I can go either way.  As long as they are documented somewhere.  I
think the reason that they ended up there is that we currently don't
have anywhere else to document them.  Does anyone else have an opinion?

>2. Define a roadmap for the "Inital Goals" section: [...]

Not sure how to word that well.  It could be the fever talking...

>3. Update the "Relationships" section:
>
>[...]
>The reason why I'm not jumping ahead with this is
>that I am not sure yet whether my understanding of
>the high level design is the current consensus.

I think that your understanding is my understanding.  It is what
Luciano has been coding toward, I think, and what Noel and I have
discussed.  I used what you had to update the Wiki page.  I didn't
mention the middleware components.  I wasn't sure when I was first
writing the proposal what that section was really supposed to be so I
just listed everything.

>Initial committers should list themselves. [...]

Thanks for clarifying.  Please list yourselves!

>[...]
>"Meritocracy" - Every person who is currently part
>of the community has code that they have developed
>yet are willing to rewrite for the good of the project.
>
>I feel excluded from the community here. Suggestions?

Didn't mean to exclude you from the community!  I changed it to
include architectural direction as well.

>"Orphaned Projects"
>
>I would have gone for something like "We're just starting, there
>is a high risk", but that's a matter of personal preference :-)

I guess blatant honesty is best sometimes. :-)  Done.

>[...]
>"Relationships with Other Apache Products"
>
>>I know that there are some following this discussion because of the
>>technologies being used and not the problem space or project necessarily.
>
>That should be mentioned in this section. Some of the
>existing references are superfluous though. Or should
>we really tie ourselves to Tomcat instead of writing
>something that runs in any Servlet/JSP container?

Done and no.

>I found this thread, where you said AJAX and somebody
>else mentioned JavaScript - is that what you meant?
>http://www.nabble.com/photo-gallery-for-Roller-td17087810s12275.html
>
>Since there were discussions with Roller, we should
>mention that in the proposal, and also explain why
>we're not asking Roller to become the sponsor.

There was also
http://www.nabble.com/mentor-needed-and-proposal-for-photo-gallery-td17214136s12275.html
where the entire discussion just dropped.  Not my best display of perseverance.

I did make mention of the Roller discussions when I updated the
proposal but didn't include the links.

Does anyone else have suggestions?  Feel free to update the proposal!

Angie