From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: updates to proposal (was: Codebases and Tidbits and Moving towards a proposed vote)
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:29:08 GMT
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:

> Hi Angie,
>
>  But I'm still not happy with the sections on
>>> "Initial Goals"/"High Level Design" and "Relationships
>>> with Other Apache Products".  This has to do with all
>>> the open design questions in the proposal. It is important
>>> to document such questions and the decisions, but that
>>> does not belong into the proposal. [...]
>>>

>> I can go either way.  As long as they are documented somewhere.  I think
>> the reason that they ended up there is that we currently don't have anywhere
>> else to document them.
>>

> We have this mailing list, which is archived:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-projects/
> Once the podling gets started, we can put such
> stuff up on a wiki or web page.
>

>>  2. Define a roadmap for the "Inital Goals" section: [...]
>>>

>> Not sure how to word that well.  It could be the fever talking...
>>

> I can have a stab at it tomorrow. I'm usually
> quite good with words, just wanted to discuss
> the contents first.
>
>  The reason why I'm not jumping ahead with this is
>>> that I am not sure yet whether my understanding of
>>> the high level design is the current consensus.
>>>

>> I think that your understanding is my understanding.  It is what Luciano
>> has been coding toward, I think, and what Noel and I have discussed.
>>

> I'm still unclear about the role of Sling in this.
> Is it just a "yeah, we *could* use that all right",
> or is it really the intention "our UI will be built
> on Sling"? In the latter case, there will be a
> web service API for accessing the repository, and
> a UI component that uses JCR directly (unless I am
> mistaken about Sling). That's not a problem, but
> something that people should be aware of.

Indeed. We should be very cautious about exposing a web services interface
if we're not actually going to use it ourselves. It would be all too easy,
that way, to come up with an API that doesn't actually work for real-world
applications.

I'd prefer to see us either build on Sling initially and look at a web
services API later, or build a UI that sits on web services initially and
perhaps look at Sling later. I'm not sure that tackling both right off the
bat would be realistic. That's IMHO, anyway.

--
Martin Cooper