From Umashanthi Pavalanathan <umashant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making PhotArk More Social
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:28:07 GMT
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
> umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
>>> <umashanthip@gmail.com>

>>> releases? Is
>>> activities
>>> >

>>> As for the storage system, we currently use a JCR repository, but I
>>> believe this is something we can discuss. If you think that a
>>> different storage mechanism would work better with the relationships
>>> and other requirements from open social, please start a new thread and
>>> let's discuss this with the community. Personally, I've been working
>>> with some noSQL databases, and think they can be another option for
>>> us.
>>>

>> Sure. I'm not much familiar with the JCR repository. I'll first look into
>> it and then will post my opinions.
>>

> I had a look at the JCR API, storage structure and the current usage of it
> in PhotArk. I believe it well suits the idea I had about a flexible
> mechanism to store the social related data. The concepts of parent node,
> child node and properties of nodes can be utilized for easily storing the
> social data. A simple structure is shown in the attached image.
>
> I have a question regarding the JCR nodes. Is there any concept of
> links/associations between nodes?(eg: creating a link kind of relation
> between two nodes and retrieving a node's links). If there is such a feature
> available, it can be used to handle the relationship mapping. i.e: if two
> users are friends, a link between the two nodes representing those users can
> be created and removed when removing relationship. I've come across a method
> getSharedSet() [1] in the API. Does this provide such feature?  It would be
> great if someone familiar with JCR can clarify this.

I have asked about this question in the Jackrabbit mailing list and they've
provided positive response[1] that this feature of associating nodes can be
accomplished using the existing JCR implementation. So, I think we can go
ahead with the JCR mechanism. Anyway we can provide good set of interfaces
so that it give support for different back end implementations, in the
future.

Luciano, can I get started with writing the basic interfaces for the Social
API in my checkout of the REST branch? Do you have any conventions to follow
in the package structure, or can I create one ask for your suggestion?

Meanwhile, I would like to continue this effort as a Google Summer of Code
project. Is there any new procedure Apache follows this year to collect the
summer of code ideas? else can I use the wiki page to start with my project
proposals & other details. As I understood last year JIRA was used as the
place to discuss the project ideas; if there is any such procedure this
time, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jackrabbit-users/201102.mbox/%3CAANLkTinOjvvq9jLAbhETVdkky_mbYm8_sAGpj94d6Roc@mail.gmail.com%3E