From Maxim Solodovnik <solomax...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] cluster API - extending the Client with a server attribute
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 06:34:00 GMT
I believe there is misunderstanding here.

I see 2 areas:
1) admin area is configured by admin and changed not very often.
2) client area: we need some mechanism to understand which client is
currently on which server in cluster.

So I propose the following: admin set up servers in admin section (db
writes are performed) and set up address in client config.xml.

The client connects to server and can tell any instance where is it came
from (no sb writes are performed)

Or maybe I'm trying to solve wrong problem? :)
On Jan 27, 2013 12:14 PM, "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wagner@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Admin section is saved to the database.
> If every instance writes to the same database and table in the cluster you
> will simply have the same serverId or address in all instances. I might not
> even theoretically image any solution where an OpenMeetings instance will
> find out purely on what is written in the database which record in the
> servers' table it it :)) You always need some meta data from another
> source. Either host or id or something.
>
> The config.xml is for client side configuration. We do not load values
> from the config.xml to the server side part to do anything. At least we
> shouldn't :)
>
> Sebastian
>

> 2013/1/27 Maxim Solodovnik <solomax666@gmail.com>
>
>> too complicated questions :)
>>
>> I believe any address should be configured in admin section (it should be
>> unique)
>> this address should be used instead of id in openmeetings-applicationContext.xml
>> (of any other file used for configuration)
>>
>> the other idea i can come up with:
>> addional property is added to the config.xml (the address of current
>> server) this address is passed in case of cluster config and based on the
>> address server is determined
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com <
>> seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking about that, but there are several issues with it:
>>>
>>> 1) where should this address be taken from? You would need to read it
>>> from System.getProperties().
>>> That means you have OS specific stuff in your code. Or you will end up
>>> in writing this attribute in the some startup script. I would rather then
>>> configure it in the spring config.
>>> 2) What if the server has not configured the public host address because
>>> it is sitting behind some corporate firewall. Internally the host might
>>> have a different or multiple names.
>>> 3) What if you have multiple instances running on the same host (okay
>>> makes no sense from scaling point of view, but testing is more easy if you
>>> can configure a cluster locally by running 2 instances on the same host
>>> with different ports)
>>>
>>> Sebastian

But

DTOs