From Mohammad Islam <misla...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Coordinators start and LAST_ONLY
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:38:52 GMT
Hi Maxime,
Would you please update the respective JIRAs with your comments? It will help the dev to get
the full context in one place.

Thanks,
Mohammad

________________________________
From: Maxime Petazzoni <maxime.petazzoni@turn.com>
To: oozie-users@incubator.apache.org; Mohammad Islam <mislam77@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: Coordinators start and LAST_ONLY

Hi,

* Mohammad Islam <mislam77@yahoo.com> [2012-03-22 01:17:41]:

> Currently there is a known bug for LAST_ONLY, We need to fix that.
> The outstanding JIRA is: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OOZIE-614
>
> For start time, we should support default value NOW as start time. I created a new JIRA
regarding this.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OOZIE-778
> As a workaround, you could write a shell command to get the current date in UTC and pass
it as a variable (-D option) to the coordinator.

Thanks for all the pointers. I am indeed going to use a dynamic start
time passed with -D to the coordinator from the command-line when
submitting the job to Oozie. That's the only way for me to get the
behavior I desire.

What would be ideal is the following:

  - be able to support a "NOW" start time, adjusted to a configurable,
    "nearest" time. Something like:

    ${coord:now(15)} would have the first materialization of the
    coordinator at the next 15min increment of the hour: submitting at
    4:23pm for example would see the first materialization at 4:30pm.
    ${coord:now(1)} would be at the end of the current minute
    (submitting at 4:23:xx pm -> 4:24:00).

  - have LAST_ONLY work as it is understood in the documentation, i.e.
    ignore all previous realizations of the coordinator and have the
    first materialization whenever the frequency of the coordinator hits
    next.

    Because from what I understand from OOZIE-614, LAST_ONLY seems more
    complex right now than it needs to be IMHO.

Hope this helps!

/Max
--
Maxime Petazzoni, Platform Engineer at Turn, Inc (www.turn.com)