From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Retriving old files
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:38:00 GMT
On 11/01/2012 12:13 PM, Robbie Doebert wrote:
> I received some old document files on  31/2 inch floppy disks.  I was
> able to download and save them to my hard drive.  The files are saved
> in Open Office 1.1.  When I tried to open them, a window popped up
> "ASCII Filter options".  I just clicked enter and the document came
> up completely scrambled.  Is there a way to retrieve these documents?
> These are old church records and I would really like to be able to
> save them onto a DVD or flash drive to preserve them. I would
> appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you
>
> Roberta Doebert

Make copies of the files and move them to a separate directory. Then
open AOO and File|Wizards|Document Converter
Click the 'Help' button for added information. That will convert all of
the files in the folder to ODT, ODS, etc.

That said, AOO has an import filter to import OpenOffice.org 1.0 files
(sxw, sxc, sxt...). You _should_ be able to: File|Open|File
Type|OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document etc. If that is not working then
there is a bug.