From Tom Panfil <tap.h...@verizon.net>
Subject Catch 22 for Users of Remailers who Need to Unsubscribe [was: Re: PLEASE REMOVE ME]
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:08:51 GMT
Hello Moderators & List Members:

I think that there is a need for some additional way for people to
unsubscribe from the lists mechanized via instances of the system used
by this list.

People like me, who are members of professional societies like IEEE and
ACM which provide e-mail virus scanning and forwarding to the actual ISP
provided e-mail accounts of their members, tend to use those re-mailer
accounts for everything to get the two benefits:

  * Protection from viruses (to some degree).
  * Easy redirection of all of their incoming mail to a new ISP provided
    e-mail account if they should need to make a change.

The Catch-22 part of this is that they cannot send from those re-mailer
addresses, like my Reply-To address on this message.

So, should they need or want to unsubscribe from a list via the
mechanisms currently offered, they cannot unsubscribe.

I do *not* want to unsubscribe.  I'm learning from both the technical
questions being answered, and from seeing this terrible problem linger on.

The Open Source Community which uses the mail list exploder that this
project uses should prioritize enhancement of the mail list exploder SW
to enable unsubscribing by those who are subscribed via re-mailer
addresses.  This may help others too.

--
*v/r,
                Tom Panfil