From "Rod Lockwood" <rodlockw...@provide.net>
Subject AutoCorrect suggestion
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:52:20 GMT
I run a Pokémon fan site and have been creating some tables and reference
files recently. Because the game originates in Japan I have to use
Japanese words and names using Romaji. In order to efficiently type in the
vowels using the macron, I decided to add them to AutoCorrect > Replace.
While this works for stand-alone characters, I found it does not work
within words. I realize that it is set up that way because the AutoCorrect
is intended for correcting words, not individual characters within words.

This may be fine if you are creating the entire work in one language or
the other where you can enter individual words that you know are going to
be used. But if you are using random words or names from another language
you need to be flexible and correct only the single character that needs
to be entered. However, you would need to be able to do this without
destroying the normal behavior of the AutoCorrect feature.

I think I have a solution though. The backslash is often used as an escape
character in regular expressions. So why not use it in AutoCorrect to
indicate that it should correct only a single character without following
it up with a space? In my case I could enter /-o to indicate that it
should be corrected to ō without following it with a space. So that, as I
type, N/-o, /-Osagi, and An/-oka would become Nō, Ōsagi, and Anōka
respectively. (I made up the last two words on the fly just to give
examples).

As with using regular expressions in Find/Replace, the double backslash
would be used to automatically indicate a single backslash, if it became a
problem. For me this would be a small sacrifice for the convenience of
entering custom characters on the fly. Others may not think so though, but
I thought I would bring it up anyway.
--

Rod Lockwood