From "David H. Lipman" <DLip...@Verizon.Net>
Subject Re: aoo for android
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:58:08 GMT
From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@nexaima.net>

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 17:00:50 PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>> Why would your want to get rid of PDF's. I DO NOT want to publish
>>> documents in ODF formats? I use read only PDF's.
>
> Larry, may I ask you why you specifically used "DO NOT want" in the
> sentence above, instead of "do not need" or something like that? I'm
> curious, also for the reasons in my comments below.
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 17:00:50 PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>
>> Published documents should be PDF or epub.  PDF is useful when you
>> want to maintain control over the layout.
>
> Hmm, not exactly. PDF is little more than a photograph of the
> _printable_ version of a document (or a video, in some cases). As
> such, it is useful when you want, or need, or it's enough, that the
> "exterior" parts of a document _can_ always have exactly the same look
> on every monitor, or however they are printed.

That's NOT etirely true.

For example I can attach "notes" to a given paragraph.

I can create an editable PDF Form such that you can file in form fields
(where JavaScript can manipulate and/or calculate field) as well as save
data to the form.  This includes including a PKI signing field for
verification and non-repudiation.

So describing a PDF as a snapshot or photograph is denying the breadth of
what a PDF is capable of.

And to stay on topic, AOO can be used to create editble PDF forms.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp