From "David H. Lipman" <DLip...@Verizon.Net>
Subject Re: aoo for android
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:22:43 GMT
From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@nexaima.net>

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 16:47:18 PM -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "Gaspar N��ez" <nurogaleo@gmail.com>
>>
>>> I think that at least a good reader should be available
>>
>> Published documents should be in a published format like the
>> Portable Document Format (PDF).
>
> Why?
>
> If people need to torture themselves by really, routinely _editing_
> ODF documents on a tiny screen, without keyboards, that's their
> problem, I agree.
>
> But the sooner we get over the PDF cultural stage/limit, the better it
> will be for open government/open data (and other things too, but these
> are the most important ones). Good ODF readers are necessary to get
> rid of PDFs, that is to make official public documents immediately
> readable on every platform. In a format that allows users to
> immediately check internal structures as formulas in spreadsheets, and
> is also better than PDF as it can adapt much better to different
> screen sizes.
>
> Yes, ePub would do too, at least for text-only documents. In any case,
> PDF as the format for documents to be published should disappear in
> many practical cases because of its limits.
>
> Marco F.
> http://mfioretti.com

PDF was just an example of a published format.  Tablets are glorified
content viewers so viewing published formats is within their realm.

However, ODF is an editable format, not a published format.

If there is a standalone ODF Viewer then that's different.  To make AOO to
be on Android just to view an ODF, I don't think its work the energy of the
programmers.  If there may be a time where there is an Android based desktop
then that would change everything.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp