From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [OT] OO-dev was Re: Help please
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 00:52:23 GMT

> Hi Gary,
>
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 04:51:24PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> With apologies to the OP of this thread... I see you've gotten your
>> issue sorted out, so I hope that you don't mind if I side-track your
>> thread for a bit in order to sort out the OO-dev install. Thanks.
>>
>> On 10/06/2012 08:54 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> > On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:53:01PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ariel. I have the deb build on this machine:
>> AOO350m1(Build:9610)  -  Rev. 1373721
>> 2012-08-16_04:25:33-Rev.1373730
>> and just downloaded and installed the RPM build on Fedora 17.
>> AOO350m1(Build:9610)  -  Rev. 1391723
>> 2012-09-30_06:33:16-Rev.1373730 - Linux i686
>>
>> On the new RPM build installs just fine as Oo-dev 3.5.0. Well done &
>> thanks for that (OO-dev).
>>
>> On the new RPM build no desktop-integration directory & file is
>> included. Is that on purpose, or a problem with the build? Note: It was
>> easy enough to add the soffice menu by hand, but just curious to see if
>> if was not included on purpose.
>
> By definition, Developer Snapshots don't come with desktop integration
> (I can't recall if in OOo times they did this differently, but I guess
> it was the same, as we didn't change anything in this area).
>
> May be it makes sense to design a minimal desktop integration with the
> *.desktop files and their respective images only, but no mime
> definitions.

I do seem to recall some OOo-dev builds in the past that have done this,
but don't have any archives available.

On a dev only version (where it installs as OO-dev (AOo-dev?)), I think
it's a good idea to add a minimal (main menu screen) DI file. That is
not to appease folks who don't know how to add a menu, but instead to
test to see if the basic DI structure is working & not clashing with
other installs (AOo, LO, MS Office etc). That way when the final comes
out, the DI will hopefully work as expected.
  I think it's more difficult with a Windows build; my suggestion is to
rename the program files to awriterdev, etc. I tested that on an LO
Windows build last year (renamed to ooowriter.exe, etc) and it worked
just fine. Couldn't get LO devs to do anything with it though:
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Change-executable-sh-names-td2108193.html>

Gary