From Bret Busby <>
Subject Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 10:02:03 GMT
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Hagar Delest wrote:

> Le 27/10/2012 09:12, Bret Busby a écrit :
>> Is a UK English spelling dictionary extension, available for Open Office
>> 3.x ?
> The default dictionary includes the UK flavor. Once installed, you'll see the
> different English versions.

I found the problem.

After having posted my last previous message in this thread, in thinking
about the extensions, I thought "what about looking in the Debian
package repository, for an extension?".

So, I ran Synaptic, and searched on Openoffice, and found, that I did
not have installed, myspell-GB, which I installed (and a couple of other
packages), then I ran Open Office Writer, and typed in a couple of
mispelled words, and they were marked, and entered "center", which was
marked as an error, and, entered "centre" which was not marked as an

Thus, it is shown that I now have the spellchecker working, with
English-UK (or, English-GB, whichever a person wants to name it).

So it appears to have been my own stupid fault, for not having properly
checked that I had a dictionary installed.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused by my query.

Perhaps, Hagar, on your web page, you could include something like "When
using Linux, check in your package manager, by searching in the package
manager, for openoffice, that you have a dictionary of the appropriate
language, installed" ?

That would then provide for idiots like me, who do not first check that
component, that I should have checked before raising the query.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get the spellchecker working in
alpine (my primary email application) - but that is another matter, and,
not appropriate for this mailing list.

Bret Busby
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."