From "VA" <cuyfa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: hyphenation with US English
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:39:33 GMT
I took the files from the English dictionary that I downloaded and copied
them all into my original English subdirectory on my OO installation as well
as my extensions subdirectory. In the process, I overwrote all previous
English files.

Sadly, the program still hyphenates words in the wrong place. When I use the
same dictionary files in LibO, it hyphenates properly.

I don't know what's wrong, but I have enough word processing options
(between LibO, Atlantis, and several LaTeX editors) that spending more time
chasing down OO's hyphenation problem is more bother for me than its worth.

Thanks for all the help. The issue has been reported as a bug on Bugzilla,
so I'll wait for the developers who are smarter than I am to figure it
out...if they're inclined. So far, the Bug has been listed as "unconfirmed"
on Bugzilla and it doesn't seem as if anyone's overly interested in
addressing it.

Virgil

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Pescetti
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 7:09 PM
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: hyphenation with US English
On 19/10/2012 VA wrote:
>> US English dictionary hyphenates words at the wrong place
>> (Op-enOffice, res-ults, mathem-atics, etc.)  ...
> In my Extension Manager, I now have two American English dictionaries
> listed.

Note that:
- Dictionary and hyphenation patterns are usually shipped in the same
package, but they are independent.
- Hyphenation patterns are in a file named hyph_en_US.dic
- If you get, from any source, another dictionary extension, you might
want, instead of installing it, to unzip it (open it with any ZIP
handling program, like 7-Zip), take only the file hyph_en_US.dic and
overwrite the file hyph_en_US.dic from your OpenOffice installation; do
this when OpenOffice is closed and the Quickstarter (OpenOffice icon in
system tray) is not running, then reboot.
- Extension updates are currently disabled, so "check for updates" will
always tell you that no extension updates are available.

Of course, if you find hyphenation patterns that work better we might
want to include them in the next releases, so please give us the precise
link to download them and we will check license compatibility and
possibly include them.

Regards,
   Andrea.