From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apparently unwanted subscriptions
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:26:36 GMT
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> There is a constant stream of "unsubscribe" requests from people who do not seem able
to read or execute the unsubscribe instructions on the bottom of the postings.

> Should we consider either an intelligence test as part of the subscription process ("How
many blue beans make five" sort of question), or a double confirm email, spaced by some time
gap (several hours)?

We don't have a lot of knobs to fiddle with here.  This is just one of
many, many mailing lists at Apache, and the logic of maintaining a
large number of mailing lists, from an admin view, is we all using
ezmlm, and can control only those settings and capabilities that ezmlm
exposes.  The things we can do include:

1) Adding more volunteer list moderators.  List moderators actually
can unsubscribe users.   But this solution doesn't scale well.

2) Rewrite or clarify or emphasize the unsubscribe instructions in each post.

3) Rewrite the instructions that are sent to new list subscribers that
explain how to unsubscribe

But at this point I'm not sure what is happening here.   It almost
seems like someone got on to their grandparents laptop and signed up
for the list, without them knowing about it.  Or something like that.
This is not just a question of knowing how to unsubscribe.  It is a
question of users who don't even know how they got on the list.  This
is odd, since it is impossible to subscribe by accident.

-Rob