From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AutoCorrect suggestion
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:26:57 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net> wrote:
> I run a Pokémon fan site and have been creating some tables and reference
> files recently. Because the game originates in Japan I have to use Japanese
> words and names using Romaji. In order to efficiently type in the vowels
> using the macron, I decided to add them to AutoCorrect > Replace. While this
> works for stand-alone characters, I found it does not work within words. I
> realize that it is set up that way because the AutoCorrect is intended for
> correcting words, not individual characters within words.

This behavior is intentional.  An example to show you the issues that
can creep in if it was not done this way:

"teh" is a common typo and can be automatically replaced with "the".

But if we did this within a word, then we would replace "Tehran" with
"Theran" and that might provoke an international incident ;-)

Of course, this could be solved with a more expressive way of
indicating the replacements, e.g., something more like a regular
expression.  But that complexity would be difficult for most users.

> This may be fine if you are creating the entire work in one language or the
> other where you can enter individual words that you know are going to be
> used. But if you are using random words or names from another language you
> need to be flexible and correct only the single character that needs to be
> entered. However, you would need to be able to do this without destroying
> the normal behavior of the AutoCorrect feature.
>
> I think I have a solution though. The backslash is often used as an escape
> character in regular expressions. So why not use it in AutoCorrect to
> indicate that it should correct only a single character without following it
> up with a space? In my case I could enter /-o to indicate that it should be
> corrected to ō without following it with a space. So that, as I type, N/-o,
> /-Osagi, and An/-oka would become Nō, Ōsagi, and Anōka respectively. (I made
> up the last two words on the fly just to give examples).
>
> As with using regular expressions in Find/Replace, the double backslash
> would be used to automatically indicate a single backslash, if it became a
> problem. For me this would be a small sacrifice for the convenience of
> entering custom characters on the fly. Others may not think so though, but I
> thought I would bring it up anyway.
> --

It is common to have character mapping at a lower level, even within
the operating system.  Are you running Windows?  If so, you might look
at AutoHotKey for more control:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Regards,

-Rob