From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX][DISCUSS] Default Document Border
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 14:45:37 GMT
KG03 - See comments inline

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> the principles behind the Writer UI are WYSIWYG so including corner marks
> could destroy this principle. Page borders depend on the printer driver
> settings. If you use a printer driver that allows the use of 0" border then
> you can use it. To check the driver's setting just open the "Page" tabpage
> within the format page dialog and put your cursor into the page margins
> spinboxes and use PgUp/PgDown to see the borders allowed by the printer
> driver settings. If you really want such corner marks then it should be a
> configurable setting of the "control character" mode that you can switch on
> within the "Standard" function bar.
>
> KG03 - I think the WYSIWYG paradigm is understood. Our page metaphor and
text alignment reinforces the conceptual frame. Do we need a boarder around
each line of text, so people don't get lost and know it's a line?
Furthermore, according to your argument, shouldn't the page boarder be
printed ;) Yes, there is a relationship to printing, but many people author
document with no intent of printing. Anyhoo, my goal is to reduce the
visual weight of the UI and help people focus on the content. I'm looking
to apply this goal through the UI. A content-oriented, modern, light-weight
UI is what the community is asking for. Everything should be considered.
It's important to check our assumptions, and ask why is something there.
Please be open to focusing on the design problem, versus the code history.
Your response explain what it is, not why it is. I'm trying to explore
different paths to realize my design goal. If you have any suggestions or
ideas on how to realize this goal within the page canvas, I'd love to hear
from you.