From Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AutoCorrect suggestion
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:49:18 GMT
2012/10/16 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net> wrote:
>> I run a Pokémon fan site and have been creating some tables and reference
>> files recently. Because the game originates in Japan I have to use Japanese
>> words and names using Romaji. In order to efficiently type in the vowels
>> using the macron, I decided to add them to AutoCorrect > Replace. While this
>> works for stand-alone characters, I found it does not work within words. I
>> realize that it is set up that way because the AutoCorrect is intended for
>> correcting words, not individual characters within words.
>>

> This behavior is intentional.  An example to show you the issues that
> can creep in if it was not done this way:
>
> "teh" is a common typo and can be automatically replaced with "the".
>
> But if we did this within a word, then we would replace "Tehran" with
> "Theran" and that might provoke an international incident ;-)
>
> Of course, this could be solved with a more expressive way of
> indicating the replacements, e.g., something more like a regular
> expression.  But that complexity would be difficult for most users.
>
>> This may be fine if you are creating the entire work in one language or the
>> other where you can enter individual words that you know are going to be
>> used. But if you are using random words or names from another language you
>> need to be flexible and correct only the single character that needs to be
>> entered. However, you would need to be able to do this without destroying
>> the normal behavior of the AutoCorrect feature.
>>
>> I think I have a solution though. The backslash is often used as an escape
>> character in regular expressions. So why not use it in AutoCorrect to
>> indicate that it should correct only a single character without following it
>> up with a space? In my case I could enter /-o to indicate that it should be
>> corrected to ō without following it with a space. So that, as I type, N/-o,
>> /-Osagi, and An/-oka would become Nō, Ōsagi, and Anōka respectively. (I made
>> up the last two words on the fly just to give examples).
>>
>> As with using regular expressions in Find/Replace, the double backslash
>> would be used to automatically indicate a single backslash, if it became a
>> problem. For me this would be a small sacrifice for the convenience of
>> entering custom characters on the fly. Others may not think so though, but I
>> thought I would bring it up anyway.
>> --
>
> It is common to have character mapping at a lower level, even within
> the operating system.  Are you running Windows?  If so, you might look
> at AutoHotKey for more control:
>
> http://www.autohotkey.com/

If Linux, try AutoKey. It's written in Python, but works pretty well.
You can trig every script or phrase in different ways individually.
For example you can have one phrase to expand as soon as a certain key
combination occurs, no matter if it is inside a word or not, and
another one to only trigger as a whole word, and there's a lot more
you can do with it as well.

I don't write much in Japanese, but I use some characters pretty often
that's not on my original (Swedish) keyboard layout, so I made my own
layout. Each key now has four characters (Key, Shift+Key, AltGr+Key
and Shift+AltGr+Key). I can even type with my arrow keys (←↑↓→⬄↹↔⇨),
the Enter key (↵¶), the TAB key (⇥⇤) and all those navigation keys. As
long as I don't use the AltGr key, those keys behave as they were
originally intended to. And I removed all the numbers from the first
key row, so I no longer need shift for !"#@% etc. I only have numbers
on my numpad now, why have the same characters on several places?

Here's how to add the AutoKey PPA for Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~cdekter/+archive/ppa

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
(Yes, this AutoKey was used for this signature)