From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3.4.1 keeps dying
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 20:14:08 GMT
On 27/10/2012 Dean Allen Provins, P. Geoph. wrote:
> I thought I'd try 3.4.1, so obtained the DEB files and ran
> "dpkg -i *.deb" on the extracted files.
> When I fire it up, it takes a while, but opens a spreadsheet, but
> then chokes, recovers and re-opens the sheet.

(You have already received other anwers but missed them since you are
not subscribed to the list; please find them at
http://markmail.org/search/ooo-users+list:org.apache.incubator.ooo-users+order:date-backward

)

You are very likely experiencing a profile conflict, see the first Known
Issue here:
http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html#AOO3.4.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues

To solve it, close OpenOffice, run
$ mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org.old
and restart OpenOffice to recreate a clean profile.

If you still have 3.3 installed, you'd better store the 3.3 and 3.4
profiles in different directories to prevent conflicts. To do so, find
the "bootstraprc" file in your OpenOffice 3.4.1 installation tree and
edit it so that UserInstallation is set to something specific: for
example, set it to $SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice-341-profile

> "javaldx failed. User must select a JRE from options dialog!"

This warning is a separate issue. Users notice it because OpenOffice
prints it first, but it may well be unrelated to the stability problems
you are seeing, especially because when you see this warning OpenOffice
is not using any JRE.

Regards,
   Andrea.