From James Knott <james.kn...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice being sold on EBay for GBP 3.49
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:25:56 GMT
Premiere International wrote:
> My name is Michael Murray and I have recently seen a posting on the EBay shopping website,
which suggested that your free Open Source "OpenOffice" application is being sold on EBay
for a charge of £3.49 - which I see as robbery and extortion for something that is available
on OpenOffice.org for free.

There is nothing wrong with someone selling it on a disc for a small
fee, as that vendor appears to be doing.  They are providing a service
for those who may not be able to download it.  The ones I have a problem
with are those who charge for downloading or claim they provide support,
but point people looking for support to mail lists like this.

Here's what the OpenOffice site says:

"Can I Produce a CD/DVD of your software and distribute it.

Yes, this is covered under Apache License 2 for Apache OpenOffice 3.4,
and covered under the LGPL for older versions. Please see I'm not a
lawyer. What does it all MEAN? section of the Apache License FAQ page.
This means you can distribute unmodified versions of Apache OpenOffice
as Apache OpenOffice, or older versions of OpenOffice.org as
OpenOffice.org."

https://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

While I don't see it now, there used to be a link from the OO site to a
list of CD vendors.