From johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>
Subject Re: Footer: how do I change c­ontent WITHOUT restarting­ numbering
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:19:07 GMT
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:35:11 -0000, LA King <laking@alum.colby.edu> wrote:

> I have a long doc with sections within chapters
> I  want to label in the footer the section without having to restart the
> numbering, changing only the text

you should insert a field with the chapter number/caption into the footer. open the "insert/fields/other"
window and select what you need from the "chapter" category. with the "level" field you could
switch between chapters, sections, subsections etc.

for this to work properly you should use "heading #" styles for chapter headings. the numbering
pattern is udjustable through the "tools/outline numbering" window.