From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Demonstrating Issues for Bug Reports
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:38:05 GMT
I ran the Problem Steps Recorder and noticed the following things:

 1. If you want to make comments, you need to do it while the Recorder is running.  It asks
you to outline a portion of your screen and then enter your comment in a comment dialog that
comes up.  You can do this any number of times.

 2. When the Recorder is stopped, it brings up a Save As ... dialog for saving all of the
information in a Zip.  The Zip contains a single Problem_<date>_<time>.mht file,
a synthetic web page.  My little test produced a 4MB Zip containing a 7MB file which has 15
full-screen captures (I am running at 2560 x 1600!), any comments on each capture, and then
a summary of additional details of the 15 actions.  There are instructions to review all of
these to make sure no unwanted private information is disclosed.  The MHT also has the option
to view the sequence as a slide show.

 3. I opened Windows 7 Task Manager and see that the Recorder is listed (by its Windows Title
bar) in Applications, and as psr.exe in Processes.

I have seen no slowdowns after closing the Recorder.

If there is a problem about restarting after crashing with Recorder running, I recommend starting
it again and closing it immediately to see if that clears it up.

I have not tried running it on Outlook (2010 in my case).  I'll see if I can reproduce the
experience of Maurice Howe now.

 - Dennis