From "Rod Lockwood" <rodlockw...@provide.net>
Subject OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 22:22:08 GMT
I have a text document that apparently did not close properly when closing
OpenOffice. Starting OpenOffice 3.41 does not trigger the file restoration
process. When I click on the file to open it, OpenOffice crashes because
there is already a shadow file in existance. It begins the file
restoration, but does not recover the shadow file. So I wind up not being
able to do anything. Deleting the shadow file does not work. OpenOffice
cannot open the document, even though it creates a new shadow document.

This is why I never liked this system. I much prefer the system used by my
text editor and the way it was done in the old days. Simply save the file
to disc as a normal file with a .BAK extension every 15 minutes (or
whatever your preference is). That way if the original file is corrupt,
you simply delete the corrupt file, rename the backed up file and you are
good to go. At the most you lose your allotted time of work. And saving
the file manually obviously didn’t make a difference. So forget about any
lectures on how I should manually save my work periodically.

It does not interfere with the undo process. It does not create multiple
files, just the one back up file. A simple text editor is able to do this.
I have never lost a file using this old-fashioned system of automatically
backing up the file. Now I will have to recreate this file from scratch
and from memory.

--
Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood