From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Can Calc read/import data from Google Docs?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:23:35 GMT
Hi Ariel,

thanks for being more precise. An Unified Content Provider (UCP) to
connect to GoogleDrive could be implemented like the one for WebDav:
com.sun.star.ucb.WebDAVContentProvider and it could be deployed by an
extension if someone is willed to volunteer.

> Joost makes a good point, concerning Google Docs, they have an API that
> allows developing a database driver so that Google Doc Spreadsheets
> can be used as data sources inside AOO. Think of this as something
> similar to the current solution where you can create a data source
> connected to an AOO Spreadsheet document.

Using the spreadsheet of GD as a database is not as good as providing an
API call that transmits the whole content as ODF data that can be used
to interact with a team based mode of both applications, if there is one...

> Also, Google's API allows developing another extension implementing
> what is called a UCP (a content provider for the UCB), in (my bad)
> English: an extension that allows to browse Google Drive from the file
> dialog, select a file, open it for editing, save it back.
>
> These two extensions can be developed without learning a single line of
> AOO source code, nor compiling AOO by yourself. Nice projects for next
> year's GSOC.

Ouch... to design an UCP you need to know a lot about the Universal
Content Broker (UCB) and the API used around it...

Kind regards, Joost