From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connecting to MySQL problem.
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:08:47 GMT
On 09/26/2012 06:46 AM, Ian Whitfield wrote:
> Hi All - Can anyone help me out please!!??
>
> I want to transfer my Database from the embedded DB to a MySQL DB. I'm
> using PCLinuxOS 2012 and AOO 3.4.0.
>
>  * I Created a new empty SQL DB on my WebServer, with all my fields,
>    using phpMySQLAdmin.
>  * I exported this DB back to my home computer. It comes out as a
>    'filename.sql' and seems to be a text document. (If I "open" this
>    file it opens in my HTML Editor!!)
>  * I downloaded and extracted 'mysql-connector-java-5.1.22.tar.gz'.
>    After extraction I have 'mysql-connector-java-5.1.22-bin.jar' in a
>    folder '/home/ian/Database'.
>  * I have MySQL loaded and the service IS running. (Checked with
>    Control Center)
>  * I DO have Java installed with Office (Sun Microsystems 1.6.0_21)
>  * I start Base and select 'Connect to existing DB' - JDBC
>  * Under Datasource I select the above 'Filename.sql' file.
>  * Under JDBC Class I select
>    '/home/ian/Database/mysql-connector-java-5.1.22-bin.jar'
>  * I select 'Test Class' and get the error "The JDBC Driver could not
>    be loaded".
>
> Where is the problem and how do I get round it??
>
> My requirements are a single user on a single machine!!
>
> Also what other problems am I likely to come across as I proceed?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> IanW
> Pretoria SA
      You have a MySQL server running on your WebServer, but do you have
a MySQL server running on your home computer?
'filename.sql' contains the information about the empty database you
created in MySQL, but you can not connect to it using Base. You should
install a MySQL server on your home computer and import 'filename.sql'
using phpMySQLAdmin. Make sure you create a user name and password for
yourself using phpMySQLAdmin. Make sure you also include a server name
associated with your name as well. (I use dan%local host.)
      Tool -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> JAVA -> Class Path. Click
'Add Archive'. Browse to
'/home/ian/Database/mysql-connector-java-5.1.22-bin.jar' and click Open.
Close the Class Path and Options windows clicking OK twice.
      Suggestion on connecting to MySQL: in the Database Wizard, select
MySQL in the dropdown list instead of JDBC. Click Next. Select 'Connect
using JDBC' and click Next. For the database name use the name you gave
the database. For the server, use the one you created with your user
name. Click Next. Enter your user name in the box and click the
'Password required' check box. Now if you click the Test Connection
button, you should get a connection.
      Personally, I have a MySQL server running on my computer. I have
also downloaded the MySQL Connector 1.0.1 extension and installed it. My
steps to connect to the MySQL server: I selected MySQL in the bottom
dropdown list instead of JDBC. For Step #2, I clicked 'Connect
directly'. For Step #3, I entered the name of the database (schema) that
I want to access, and 'localhost' as the server. For Step #4: I enter my
user name and checked 'Password required'. This works for AOO 3.4.1.

--Dan