incubator-ooo-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spreadsheet links: 1 out of 7 not working...
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:02:28 GMT
Ennio Sr wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I need your suggestions to help me possibly detect what may be wrong
> in the following situation:
> Six different spreadsheet - having the same structure (current account
> type) - have a similar 'summary' group of cells where the balances of
> all the accounts are shown all together, to have a quick glance of the
> whole situation. This is the result of linking each one ss to the
> other five (following the instructions given in the OO_3.2 wiki
> guide).
> These work perfectly.
> The seventh link (on each ss) refers to cell D1 of my bank account ss
> (where cell D1 refers to 'last_bal' in the same ss and has itself been
> given a range name, almost useless).
>
> Now, when I open a spreadsheet and choose to  update the links, all
> six cc balances appear correctly, whereas the bank balance appears as
> '0', although it is not. The formula is the same in all ss, the
> Edit/links window shows the same list of connections with the other
> files, so I wonder what can cause this strange result.
>
> I have re-established all the links from scratch as the link/window
> showed some of them where referring to the original excel files: now
> all have extension .ods.
>
> BTW, I have also grouped the seven different ss in a single one,
> having seven sheets in it, and it works perfectly with the same
> reference to cell D1.
>
> Thanks for your attention.
> Regards, Ennio
>
      I think you have found the solution from outward appearances: 
updating spreadsheet data links works better when all the data is in one 
file. If you are going to use a spreadsheet solution, having the data in 
separate sheets of one spreadsheet is a better method.
      However, an even better solution is using a database. Have the raw 
data in the sheets and use Base to connect to the spreadsheet. Create 
the queries in the database file instead of using spreadsheet functions.
      Very likely all of the sheets could be combined into a single 
sheet by adding one more column: the name of the bank account to which 
that row's data belongs.
      I had an embedded database containing all my financial information 
for 9 accounts. (Then I learned that I could lose data that way, so I 
now keep it in a MySQL backend using Base for the frontend.) It did take 
some planning and designing, but it is well worth the time spent.

--Dan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: ooo-users-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: ooo-users-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message