From elderdanlewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 00:19:50 GMT
Helen wrote:
> Rod, I'm afraid I can't help you but just want to say for the record that
> the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.
> I have given up trying to recover the files that were open at the time of
> the crash.
> Oh, and I don't see anything wrong with your fonts - your original message
> was easy for me to read.
> I hope this gets solved -- I also prefer the old system, with the automatic
> .bak save.
>

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net>wrote:
>
>> **
>> It is worse than I suspected. There was no error saving or closing the
>> files. OpenOffice is crashing while attempting to open the ODT files. Then
>> is unable to recover them. I tried to open two other files in the same
>> directory all with the same results. I have a screenshot, if you would like
>> me to send it.
>>
>> Maurice, I have no idea what you are referring to. This is the same font
>> size I have always used which is set to ‘Normal’. I can read it fine
>> without my glasses, nor is it overly large. You are the first person that
>> has complained.
>>
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Rod Lockwood
>>

>> On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 19:02:10 -0400, Maurice Howe <maurice@stny.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good. Now that 'incubator' has re-sent your note, we can all read it.
>>>
>>> Maurice

>>> OpenOffice. Starting OpenOffice 3.41 does not trigger the file
>>> restoration
>>> process. When I click on the file to open it, OpenOffice crashes because
>>> there is already a shadow file in existance. It begins the file
>>> restoration,
>>> but does not recover the shadow file. So I wind up not being able to do
>>> anything. Deleting the shadow file does not work. OpenOffice cannot open
>>> the
>>> document, even though it creates a new shadow document.
>>>
>>> This is why I never liked this system. I much prefer the system used by
>>> my
>>> text editor and the way it was done in the old days. Simply save the
>>> file to
>>> disc as a normal file with a .BAK extension every 15 minutes (or whatever
>>> your preference is). That way if the original file is corrupt, you simply
>>> delete the corrupt file, rename the backed up file and you are good to
>>> go.
>>> At the most you lose your allotted time of work. And saving the file
>>> manually obviously didn't make a difference. So forget about any
>>> lectures on
>>> how I should manually save my work periodically.
>>>
>>> It does not interfere with the undo process. It does not create multiple
>>> files, just the one back up file. A simple text editor is able to do
>>> this. I
>>> have never lost a file using this old-fashioned system of automatically
>>> backing up the file. Now I will have to recreate this file from scratch
>>> and
>>> from memory.

      Have either one of you looked at this: Tools -> Options -> Load
and Save -> General? You have a box you can check "Always create a
backup copy". Do you use the AutoRecovery property? If so, how many
minutes between saves? (This may be the shadow file you mentioned.) When
Writer is opened working on a document and you have the AutoRecovery
checked, Writer writes a file to the temporary folder on your hard drive.
      The shortcut to the old fashioned system of automatically backing
up a file: Control+S. You use this key combination "automatically" on a
regular basis.

--Dan