From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can Calc read/import data from Google Docs?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 17:02:08 GMT
Hi Joost,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:23:35PM +0200, Joost Andrae wrote:
> Hi Ariel,
>
> thanks for being more precise. An Unified Content Provider (UCP) to
> connect to GoogleDrive could be implemented like the one for WebDav:
> com.sun.star.ucb.WebDAVContentProvider and it could be deployed by
> an extension if someone is willed to volunteer.
>
> >Joost makes a good point, concerning Google Docs, they have an API that
> >allows developing a database driver so that Google Doc Spreadsheets
> >can be used as data sources inside AOO. Think of this as something
> >similar to the current solution where you can create a data source
> >connected to an AOO Spreadsheet document.
> >

> Using the spreadsheet of GD as a database is not as good as
> providing an API call that transmits the whole content as ODF data
> that can be used to interact with a team based mode of both
> applications, if there is one...

A use case may be using the GD Spreadsheet as data source for a mail
merge; also, what the OP wanted looks like importing a data source range
into an AOO Calc spreadsheet, not working with the whole GD Spreadsheet.

> >Also, Google's API allows developing another extension implementing
> >what is called a UCP (a content provider for the UCB), in (my bad)
> >English: an extension that allows to browse Google Drive from the file
> >dialog, select a file, open it for editing, save it back.
> >
> >These two extensions can be developed without learning a single line of
> >AOO source code, nor compiling AOO by yourself. Nice projects for next
> >year's GSOC.
>
> Ouch... to design an UCP you need to know a lot about the Universal
> Content Broker (UCB) and the API used around it...

Yeah! it's complex, but the point is that a student with only Java
knowledge could give this a try, with a mentor's guide.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina