From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can Calc read/import data from Google Docs?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:57:11 GMT
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:23:17AM -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> It might be good to stick to very specific, simple use cases.
>
> If Google Docs will export a spreadsheet to the desktop in ODF,
> clearly that can be used as a source of data for incorporation in
> another ODF spreadsheet using AOO Calc.
>
> I think that may be good enough to satisfy the case raised by the OP,
> assuming there are sufficient Google Docs privileges to download the
> document [;<).

[...]

> It's not the key point if _we_ support a roundtrip but if the other
> application supports the feature set of AOO in case someone depends on
> a roundtrip and if an extension supports both APIs. In case of MS
> Office
> 365 does an API exist that can be used by opensource applications like
>     AOO?

Joost makes a good point, concerning Google Docs, they have an API that
allows developing a database driver so that Google Doc Spreadsheets
can be used as data sources inside AOO. Think of this as something
similar to the current solution where you can create a data source
connected to an AOO Spreadsheet document.

Also, Google's API allows developing another extension implementing
what is called a UCP (a content provider for the UCB), in (my bad)
English: an extension that allows to browse Google Drive from the file
dialog, select a file, open it for editing, save it back.

These two extensions can be developed without learning a single line of
AOO source code, nor compiling AOO by yourself. Nice projects for next
year's GSOC.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile