From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: openoffice glitch ?
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:26:30 GMT
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:57:46 -0600
"Ron & Jen Forhmzway" <ron.jen.vulcan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Brian, for the prompt reply 3 days ago..
>
> I confirm that I did have at least 2 "letters" in different cells,
> at the time I tried to get a "print preview", & also,
> there was no "print area" designated in any sheet in the workbook.
>
> There is a real problem somewhere, because, about 4 hours ago,
> I was able to get into a workbook & make changes & print;
> but now I am unable to * even get into * any of my workbooks.
> Perhaps it will be OK again if I shutdown & restart; but
> it is the recurrence that I am concerned about.
>
> Do you have anybody who can access my computer remotely
> & see if they can determine if something has happened to cause this ?
> The only recent events I can think of are: loading the upgraded open office
> & a Java update & i- tunes update.
> Don't notice any issue in using internet browser or games etc.
>
> Thanks,     Regards,     Ron
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com>wrote:
>
> > At 14:23 12/09/2012 -0600, Ron Forhmzway wrote:
> >
> >> I have been using "openoffice" off & on for several months.  I was
> >> happily working on creating a second "sheet" in one of my existing
> >> "spreadsheet" workbooks.  I decreased all col. widths & row heights,
> >> created a few borders & entered just a couple letters.  I wanted to see
how
> >> my page size was fitting -- so tried to get a "print *preview*".
> >>
> >> The program told me there was  *nothing*  to print.  [...]  I am
> >> wondering if there is any issue such as trying to print a spreadsheet when
> >> all it has is "borders"?
> >>

> > Yes: (as has already been suggested) the "issue" is that the borders are
> > decoration and will not print unless there is something significant to
> > print - some content in the cells, that is.  But if you really did enter "a
> > couple letters", this should not be your problem.
> >
> > Another possibility is that you have a print range defined on your first
> > sheet.  If so, this will prevent the printing of anything from other sheets
> > unless print ranges are defined on those other sheets to include required
> > cells there too.
> >
> > I trust this helps.
> >
> > Brian Barker

In the circumstance where OpenOffice will not open any of its files under Windows, one should
start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown as running on TaskManager's
Processes tab.  Don't worry about the warning of horrible things happening - they have already
happened if OpenOffice won't open.  Sometimes these soffice processes are left running, perhaps
by a program or computer crash, perhaps by an over-speedy shut down of the computer, which
dosn't give the machine time enough to tidy up.

The next step, which clears a very large proportion of OpenOffice faults and is not specific
to Windows, is to delete or rename the User profile.  Details about this are at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>