From "David H. Lipman" <DLip...@Verizon.Net>
Subject Re: Scam issues.
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 20:37:42 GMT
From: "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org>

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Tamblyne <tamblyne@gmail.com> wrote:

Open
The

>>> I think that another issue is that users are not very Google (or Bing)
>>> savvy.  They don't all know about sponsored links in search results,
>>> especially when they appear on top.   They have in mind what they are
>>> searching for, and naturally gravitate toward the top listing.  Subtle
>>> shading or small print does not cause them to slow down and even check
>>> the URL.

>>> True.  But it does have some value for us to articulate what we
>>> consider to be acceptable and unacceptable.  As open source software
>>> we tread a narrow line.  We're open as a matter of principle, and from
>>> a copyright perspective our license allows anyone to copy the software
>>> for any purpose.  But that is only with respect to copyright.
>>> Trademark use is an entirely different beast, and no one is given
>>> permission to use our trademark in a way that confuses or harms our
>>> users.
>>>
>>> If we were a big corporation we'd have legions of attorneys at our
>>> call to apply their special powers of persuasion to remedy this.  But
>>> we're a non-profit, relying on volunteers.  So the emphasis
>>> necessarily focuses on user education.  We're not the only product
>>> that runs into this problem.  Many of the popular open source apps
>>> have the same issues, like 7-ZIP and VLC Player.  It comes
>>> hand-in-hand with popularity.  No one tries to misuse trademarks of
>>> unpopular programs.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>
>> I definitely agree with what you say, and am familiar with the issues.
>> It's
>> only that the horse will have already left the barn before the people who
>> really need that info will find it.
>>
> Any suggestions for how we could do this better?
>
> The one thing we're not able to do is go out, guns blazing, with cease
> and desist orders and DMCA take-downs, etc.  We're not a big
> corporation.
>
> One idea -- more of a dream than a plan -- is to contact other open
> source projects who face similar issues, and work together to raise
> recognition of the issue, educate users, but also push for less
> expensive routes for non-profits to raise complaints in these areas.

You can use the DMCA route.  You don't have to be a big entity.  The right
is afforded to an individual or organization.  Just file it with the hoster
of the content.

The second option of joining forces with other affected authors/software
publishers can be done as well.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp