From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Scooter's Rant of the month
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:33:41 GMT

On Aug 13, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Hagar Delest wrote:

> Now that Thunderbird has stopped its development, perhaps we will have a fix someday
for the bug about the multiple header. It will be easier then to spot non subscribed users.
For the moment, a mere Ctrl+U when there is a high suspicion of non-subscribed sender will
do, the volume of this list is not that heavy...

> If there is no consensus, then things should remain as they are. Rejected emails will
only increase the user frustration. This is bad publicity that we won't even notice. So better
be able to monitor all those new users cases, it can help improve UX.

> As for the rant, the forum has also seen a flood of posts about dictionary and thesaurus,
together with startup problem. Sounds perhaps silly and small time issue for accustomed users
but a real pain for new users. but well, this was the first release with Apache, I guess it
will help improve the QA checks before a release.

AFAIK the development of 3.4.1 has been focused on (1) solving these types of usability issues
and (2) adding more languages as VOLUNTEERS make themselves known to help with translations.

> Bottom line is: we should take care of the new users, by listening to their complaints
(even through non-subscribed mails) and by avoiding the small glitches that can be viewed
as show stopper by new users (because those problems should be basics that should not lead
time loss trying to fix them).
> And since Scooter is not really a new user, it also means that users can be very quickly
fed up with that too...

Thanks Hagar for all your work with the forums.

Regards,
Dave