From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scam issues.
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 16:31:00 GMT
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM, David H. Lipman <DLipman@verizon.net> wrote:
> From: "Anastasia Cher" <koshka.gsps@gmail.com>
>

>> Hello there,
>> I didn't know where to email, so I decided to just email to you. I just
>> want to tell that there is an issue, some website
>> www.*openoffice*.fm/suitepretends that its you. When I googled Open
>> Office it was the first website
>> in research so I just clicked and downloaded what they offered. The say
>> that it's an Open Office suit. When I finished and installed it, I had
>> lots
>> of bugs and staff but no office. So I don't know, but these guys are using
>> your name for scam.
>

> This is going on for numerous software from Adobe Reader to VLC Media
> Player.

Right.  This is how it seems to work:

1) They buy advertisements on Google and Bing and spam social
networks, offering OpenOffice,Free Office and similar keywords.  These
lure users into going to their page.

2) The pick URL's and brand the site in a way that makes it look official.

3) To download OpenOffice you need to use their special "downloader"
tool.  The main purpose of the downloader tool is to install other
unrelated applications onto your system.  It may or may not then
install OpenOffice.

4) These other applications are sponsored apps, meaning another
company is paying for these applications to be promoted.  That is the
source of revenue for the websites that do this.

I did a blog post on this:

http://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/how_to_safely_download_apache

Note:  Users are not powerless.  There are places to report such
issues.  Some are listed in the blog post.

Regards,

-Rob