From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spell checker underlining
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 23:34:45 GMT
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Gerrit Schünemann <gsnewsletter@web.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> My thought is that underlining is sufficient.  An article in the
>> Sunday NY Times (5 August) entitled "Auto Crrect Ths" examines
>> reasons that this would be a bad idea. If the writer is unsure of
>> the word or its spelling, he can always go to Artha and look it
>> up.  (Artha offers various suggestions if the word is misspelled.)
>
> If I may quote the article:
>
> "One more thing to worry about: the better Autocorrect gets, the more we
> will come to rely on it. It’s happening already. People who yesterday
> unlearned arithmetic will soon forget how to spell. One by one we are
> outsourcing our mental functions to the global prosthetic brain. "
>
> That is just what I mean to say. A word is underlined because it's
> misspelled. You right click on it and accept the suggestion. And you
> learn next to nothing. If you just had a marker telling you, where the
> mistake was made, that would be different.

I wonder if there is another way to turn spell checking into a
learning experience.  Might it be possible, via an extension, to
monitor all words that are flagged as wrong by the spell checker and
corrected by the user, and then give a report to the user of the
most-frequently misspelled words?  If this report was run, say
monthly, then you could print that as flashcards or upload to a
repetitive drilling app, even a mobile phone version.

OK.  Perhaps not as attractive to adult native speakers.  But it could
be useful for younger students as well as language learners of all
ages.

-Rob