From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rewrite AOO in JAVA
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:53:18 GMT
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Niall  Martin
<niallandjenny@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I would have thought the developers would be cautious on this one. Many security experts
seem to
> regard Java as dangerously buggy.

Oh for God´s sake. Lots of software has "critical" security updates
during its lifetime... Including the Linux kernel. Microsoft´s own
.Net has "critical security updates" every "patch tuesday" yet I don´t
see the same level of paranoia and Reuters advising people to
"uninstall .Net". Yet, Java always get the scaremongering. It´s no
surprise, really, since Microsoft has been hard at work to derail Java
since its inception (see "operation Sunblock", 1997)
http://t.co/uzHhWGop

In fact, the latest security scare was with regards to Java usage on
web browsers (java plug-in), not Java used for desktop apps.

And for the record, it´s been fixed yesterday with the release of Java
7 update 7.
There´s even Java 7u7 OpenJDK builds for OSX too...

Sheesh...
FC