From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rewrite AOO in JAVA
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:45:11 GMT
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> >  and worthless tripe to ever show its disgusting face on the 'net.
>
> I completely disagree with this statement. Java is wonderful on the
> server-side it is possible to write webapps that truly work on all types of
> servers.

Agree. And it´s possible to write great desktop Java apps too -if written
from scratch using current Java6+ APIs. The worst Java apps were the ones
done with AWT back in the Java 1.1-1.4 days -at a time when most PCs also
lacked the horsepower to run em- or attempts to port C/C++ apps to Java...

Some examples of current, nice client-side desktop apps that I usually
install on my systems...:

1. Jitsi (VOIP and video-conference client and Skype alternative for Linux
and Windows - supports SIP, Google Chat, AIM, Jabber , you name it...)
http://www.jitsi.org

2. SweetHome 3D
floor planning / home design
www.sweethome3d.com

3. Art of Illusion (3D modeling)

http://aoi.sourceforge.net/

4. Vuze (the Bittorrent client with integrated media player and cd
recording),
http://www.vuze.com

5.  jDiskReport (disk space usage visualization),
http://ho.io/jdiskreport

6.  muCommander (file manager),
http://ho.io/mu-commander

7. FreeMind (mind mapper-productivity tool),
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

8. JShot (taking screenshots and uploading them to social sites),
http://jshot.info/jshot/webstart/jshot.jnlp

9. PowerFolder (cloud storage/file sync)
http://download.powerfolder.com/pro/webstart/PowerFolder.jnlp

10. UptheSync (Google Docs synchronizer/uploader written in Java),
http://upthesync.sourceforge.net/

11. Burp Suite (security testing),
http://portswigger.net/burp/

12. JDownloader
http://www.jdownloader.org/

13. Frinika - music workstation
http://frinika.appspot.com/

...many of these are open source. And in the case of #8,#9 and #10, are
good candidates to be hooked as plug-ins to AOO. :)

just my $0.02
FC
act
- George Orwell