From Tamblyne <tambl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scam issues.
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:35:43 GMT
On 8/17/2012 12:04 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Tamblyne<tamblyne@gmail.com>  wrote:

>> I definitely agree with what you say, and am familiar with the issues. It's
>> only that the horse will have already left the barn before the people who
>> really need that info will find it.
>>

> Any suggestions for how we could do this better?
>
> The one thing we're not able to do is go out, guns blazing, with cease
> and desist orders and DMCA take-downs, etc.  We're not a big
> corporation.
>
> One idea -- more of a dream than a plan -- is to contact other open
> source projects who face similar issues, and work together to raise
> recognition of the issue, educate users, but also push for less
> expensive routes for non-profits to raise complaints in these areas.

You know, I was just thinking the other day I'm so tired of people
don't contribute solutions -- and here I am doing exactly the same
thing.  :-)

I wish I had some suggestions for you -- I just don't.  My point, which
has apparently been badly stated, is bemoaning the technical
sophistication of the "average user" -- not the efforts of Apache to get
rid of the Bad Guys.  You'll never get rid of them -- they just appear
again in another incarnation.

I honestly don't know how you could educate users at this point.  I
mean, what alternatives are there that haven't already been implemented?
  People are *still* being taken by Nigerian scams -- and those have
been widely publicized, so what hope is there?

I belong to dozens of mailing lists and scammers/spammers post nasty
links to those daily.  You'd think pretty much everyone knows not to
click on them -- they're pretty obvious and no effort is made to mask
them at all.  The list Gurus post regularly about the hazards.  And yet,
weekly, someone posts complaining that the list admins should do
something about those Bad Guys, because they clicked on the link and
their computer was infected as a result.

So -- it seems you've gotten the impression that I think you guys aren't
doing enough to rid the web of the imposters.  That's not the case at
all -- mostly because I think, even if you did have the resources you
lack, you wouldn't be able to accomplish it.  A few dribs and drabs here
and there, maybe, but you'll never get rid of the problem.

The only suggestion I might be able to advance is maybe find an attorney
who would be willing to send out those notices pro bono -- I would
actually do it for you if I had a license.  :-D  That stuff is all
boiler-plate anyway, so the actual notices aren't the problem.  It's the
follow up that's time consuming, and if you have an offender who knows
you're flying without a net, the piece of paper has no teeth.