From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: Scooter's Rant of the month
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 07:34:38 GMT
On 13/08/12 20:14, Hagar Delest wrote:
> Now that Thunderbird has stopped its development, perhaps we will have a

Has it? I've seen no mention.

> fix someday for the bug about the multiple header. It will be easier
> then to spot non subscribed users. For the moment, a mere Ctrl+U when
> there is a high suspicion of non-subscribed sender will do, the volume
> of this list is not that heavy...
>
> If there is no consensus, then things should remain as they are.

That's always been a recipe for stagnation. If there's good reason, a
good way, and enough effort available, I think one may need to move on
even without a consensus.

> Rejected emails will only increase the user frustration. This is bad
> publicity that we won't even notice. So better be able to monitor all
> those new users cases, it can help improve UX.

Absolutely. But "skilled" users having to reiterate for beginners time
and time again the same stuff that's often not even OO-specific has
often seemed to me a frustrating waste of effort. I certainly have found
in the past it's drowned out the "meat" of the list, as it were. Plus
the well-known issues about unsubscribed users, of course.

I've suggested in the past, and will say it again, that I think a reply
from some "intelligent" autoresponder for non-subscribers would help
everyone. Potentially, new users get a fast response that (hopefully)
would answer their query, plus information on how to access whatever
archives are around, plus information on how to subscribe if they still
need help. And for subscribers, less frustration in seeing the umpteenth
Q & A about 'how do I get off the list' for example, and more time to
address the real, significant issues.

Just my 2d-worth. But note that it can be done without even touching the
current list mechanism.

> As for the rant, the forum has also seen a flood of posts about
> dictionary and thesaurus, together with startup problem. Sounds perhaps
> silly and small time issue for accustomed users but a real pain for new
> users. but well, this was the first release with Apache, I guess it will
> help improve the QA checks before a release.
>
> Bottom line is: we should take care of the new users, by listening to

Absolutely. It's hard to gain a customer; but remarkably easy to lose one.

> their complaints (even through non-subscribed mails) and by avoiding the
> small glitches that can be viewed as show stopper by new users (because
> those problems should be basics that should not lead time loss trying to
> fix them).

Again, absolutely.

--
Mike Scott